(Well, here I am. This is a mildly embarrassing picture Brad took of me wearing the new running outfit he got me for Christmas. I don't think he did it on purpose, but it ended up matching my new Nike running shoes - see, I'm all about the "cool")
So the other day I posted something about running onto my Facebook page and Janet (my sister) commented on it. What she said got me to thinking and reshaping my attitude a little bit. This is part of what she wrote. "So how's running going? Are you ready for your 10 miler at the end of the month? Do you love it? Are you addicted yet? Why do you love running?"
Now, while I've seen benefits from running and I don't hate it (shocker) I think in the back of my mind I kept waiting to enjoy it until I became a "real" runner. I don't know what a "real" runner is or does, but I was just a beginner, a rookie. I'm not very good and I still looked at it as something to "get done", and something that took up a chunk of my day. I liked it, I guess but I certainly wouldn't say I was addicted.
With some suggestions from Janet, I think I can think of myself as a "real" runner (I ran 8 miles, non-stop yesterday, for heaven's sake) I started looking at it from a different point of view. I might have to wait for that addicted part, but here are some things that I enjoy very much about running.
1. It's easy (and also necessary) to let your mind go.
2. For me when my legs are moving my brain comes up with interesting solutions and creative ideas (one of my favorite things to think about is blog entries - maybe you'll see some of them here one day. Oh, wait! You already have, this is one)
3. I live in a beautiful area - I get to see it up close and personal.
4. My 2 favorite birds Quail and Chickadees. I see lots while I'm running.
5. I like the way my breathing feels later in the day
6. I feel accomplished
7. It's a good way to stay in shape.
8. It helps me de-stress
9. It's measurable. - It's easy to track milage, calories burned etc.
10. I find I make better food choices
11. It warms me up (on cold days) and cools me off (on warm days - you know, the sweat)
12. Sunrises (hmm, at least when I make it out early enough)
13. I love my running play list on my iPod. (some people like to run without music, saying they think better. I like running with music because my feet can keep the rhythm while my brain is thinking about something else)
14. It smells good outside (except when I pass the skunk bush)
15. I feel more cheerful
16. I feel cool - not temperature-wise (that's not a bad thing right?) I feel like I'm defying my age.
17. I've conquered something that I've always professed to hate
18. I get to buy cool shoes and clothes (apparently my life is wrapped up in being cool)
19. I learn "positive self-talk". And the good news is it works in other areas of my life too
20. Knowing I can do this helps me realize I can do other hard things in my life.
So there! There are 20 things! That alone should prove that I am a "real" runner.
And just as a bonus I'm including my top 6 running songs
(in no particular order)
1. Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
2. Woman - Wolfmother
3. My Life Would Suck Without You - Kelly Clarkson ("Since You Been Gone" is right up there too)
4. Here it Goes Again - Ok Go
5. The Ultimate You - Lindsey Lohan - Ha! Go Figure
6. CrushCrushCrush - Paramore (other Paramore songs are awesome too)
Honorable Mention -
Money Money Money - ABBA- actually the one I have is from Mama Mia (So funny huh? Not necessarily my first pick, but for some reason it always seems to come on at some point during my run - I guess I've just gotten used to it.)