Thursday, February 16, 2012

Should I Laugh or Cry?


 There's no doubt about it, raising teenagers is hard. There is always something going on, always something to be concerned about. I have mental anguish wondering if I'm teaching them everything they need to know to be a contributing member of society. Wondering what I have done that has permenantly damaged their chances of that forever.  And because they are now able to think for themselves, simply saying, "because I'm you're mom and I said so" isn't always a valid argument anymore. And because of this new found self-thinking, sometimes they say and do things that I feel is the "wrong" things. What's a poor mom to do? I spend a lot of time crying (maybe not literally but it's just an on going string of angst that could burst into tears at any point).

But then, I turn on my phone and see 25 photos that look like this...
I laugh and I laugh and I feel so privileged to be a mom to kids who have a sense of humor and bring wit and vivacity to my life.  Who live life to the fullest and have unfettered expectations of the world.  Kids who are romantics and happy and joyful and are "a light unto the world".  I laugh and laugh, and then I cry all over again (but this time for different reasons.)

























11 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

looking forward to it! (I don't know if I'm serious or joking!)

Lydia said...

love it! i wonder if she knew you were going to post all those crazy pictures?

and ditto about the angst, etc. if it has to be a crazy ride, at least its a roller coaster.

Janet said...

Hahahahahaha... Aft! You're hilar!!

Shannon B said...

Laughing so hard over those pics!!! I am scared for teenage-hood in my house. Take good notes for me!!

Annette said...

Laughing too! That girl's got talent. So funny and not afraid to be her vivacious self! We definitely go in and out of angst over here. I have to say photos like these or videos like bradley's are special tender mercies reminding us of how precious our kids really are.

Nate and Erin Russell said...

hahaha! is afton going to laugh or cry when she sees this post?

Kelsi Meyer said...

Oh dear... XD

Carolina said...

So true, you could not have said better!!! The feelings of my heart these days! But you are a wonderful mom and thats why you have such wonderful kids!

karensumpter said...

What a nut! I feel like I have a teen-ager already and she's only 4.

Lindseys said...

Afton, you have the hugest eyes ever! You are hilarious.

Joe and Julie said...

Looks like she is practicing for her graduation photos (or wedding...)